Medicopter Ground Support Unit
Speeding around in a fully medically equipped BMW X5 is definitely a perk of the job, but there is much more to it than meets the eye. After partnering with Discovery in June 2009, and the launch of the ER24 Discovery Medicopters, three ground units were set in operation in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
The unit comprises of three crew members who are qualified as Intermediate Life Support practitioners, whose tasks involve, and are not limited to the following:
• Responding to accident scenes to assist the operational crews
• Assisting with patient treatment
• Creating a safe landing zone for the Medicopter
• Ensuring safety of ground crews while the Medicopter is on the ground
• Improving relationships between ground and air operations
• Scene safety and basic traffic control
• Incident photography
• Following up on patients who are airlifted by the Medicopter
We rely strongly on the support of the Contact Center and operational ground crews to ensure the success of the unit, as without whom we are unable to perform the above said tasks.
*Also see the ER24 Emergency Media & Client Liaison page.